Tuesday, January 18, 2011

a week with pete

Hey guys. Sorry for such a long time between posts. I'm finding that I'm not too good at posting everyday,so, I'll post when I feel there is something ignificent to say.

I't been a week with Pete and I'm finding that my bond with him is becomming stronger tna with y other dogs. It's neat to see our relationship develop and I'm learning lots of things about him. For example, when he wants to play with his bone he will make a growling or almost a siren sound. We have been taught not to discourage this as he is just playing. He is a really decisive worker but is still running a few of the down curbs.

Last Friday, we started clicker targeting. In this, we would first associate the target. We'd but a "target on the object and let the dog hit the target with his nose. The target, in this case, would be a bell. We would then treat near the target. This would occur about 20or so times. Then we would "backchain." We would move a little farther back and let the dogs work us to the target. They'd find the target then we would treat them. The third and finjal step is to remove the target and the dogss would work us to the target and point it out with their nowse.

It's quite the teat way to train the dogs to find other objects.

Well better go for now as I have to feed pete the pup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

would love your comment. Cuitisicism will not be tollerated and will be removed.